Friday, February 19, 2010

Originally Titled "'New' Shows"

Within the last year or so I’ve put in a lot of TV time. More than I had at any other time in my life. The Wife however enjoys couch time and the “get-away” that television provides her; I guess it was inevitable that I’d end up right there beside her. For the longest time I’ve been proud to say “I don’t watch TV” and I guess that stems from being a pretty active and outdoors type of kid.

As a kid, while other kids were talking about movies and TV shows they were into I was talking about playing football, basketball and riding my bike. I can remember summers, waking up slamming a bowl of cereal then hopping on my bike to round up the neighborhood kids for pick-up games, only coming in to eat. Of course my squad always won, that’s how we do. I actually remember after we lost a football game the other team accused us of letting them win, that’s respect. We didn’t let them win, they handed it to us, but even after attempts I couldn’t convince them that they beat us.

That was then, now you can catch me walking into the house after a day’s grind, asking The Wife “What comes on tonight?” That’s just something I can’t get used to, remembering what night each program shows. Not even the shows that are “mine” alone. Which are few, most shows I watch with her and because of her -Big Brother, The Amazing Race, Project Runway- just to name a few.

My current addition for my viewing pleasure is Project Runway, what can I say, it’s my guilty pleasure. I’ve always had a fondness of clothing design and the imagination it takes to create something out of nothing. And among many other things, as a kid maybe around middle school age I wanted to become a clothing designer. Like many other aspirations that didn’t pan out; due to the fact that I didn’t pursue it, but yeah. This show brings to life in a small dose what it’s like to be a designer, granted for ratings there’s more focus on drama and less on actual construction. But I still enjoy seeing some of the designers ideas come to fruition from a sketch to fabric colors and choices.

Just the other day I was asked what I’d like to do when I grow up… I hope I never grow up and I didn’t really have an answer for that question, but writing this post I think I have a vague idea. Somehow it would have to combine activities and qualities of life that I enjoy, blending imaginative creativity, the outdoors and the opportunity to be active and working with different kinds of people. That’s what all of my favorite shows have in common with my personality from college & pro football to Project Runway, The Amazing Race to Designed to Sell, Modern Family to House Hunters.

Amazing how what was supposed to be a simple post of new shows I’m digging turned into a therapeutic understanding (idea) of what I’d like to be when I “grow up”. I’m a visual person and like blogs with pictures and/or videos, this post didn’t quite go in the direction that I intended it to so I won’t be using the photos I expected, but here’s a very cool video “Lessons From a Tailor”. Enjoy.




Lessons from a Tailor. Directed by Galen Summer from Ed David on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Erica said...

I wish I had time to watch TV!!! I'm so behind on every show that I 'watch'. 4 episodes behind on Modern Family. 3 episodes behind on Lost. 2 or 3 episodes behind on HIMYM. With 2 kids, my time isn't what it used to be. Heck, before Jackson I was busy with grad school so I haven't had a lot of extra time in a long, long while! :(