Monday, February 22, 2010

My 101: Doin it.

#33. Plant a Tree Anywhere.
After the Christmas of 2008 I took our tree to Zilker Park to be turned into mulch. In turn they gave me a little tree to plant. I was excited about this because I love planting trees and watching them grow, just awesome. I found a nice big pot, got some soil and planted that bad boy. It was doing so good for a few months. I knew the summer heat would beat it down so I kept it near the shadows of my fence to ease the heat. I kept up with the watering but the extreme drought of 2009 took another victim… along with the rest of the plants and flowers in our backyard. All except the few cacti I’ve obtained.

But, The City of Austin gave my Broseph, Joseph, a few trees and he said he’d give me one or two, all I have to do is pick them up. They were potted I just hope the winter freeze didn’t kill’em.

#42. Blog About My Success and/or Failure.
Here I am, proudly inching away at this list. Of all the people I know who started the list I am the only one who’s kept up with it. Although, many of them have actually become more apart of the blogging community than I have.

#43. Grow and Give Away a Plant.
My original intention was to grow a plant from a seed and give it away. So far the seeds I’ve started haven’t made it very far along. They start out promising but for some reason beyond me just stop growing. Actually, I had some seeds start sprouting just before winter which I thought was weird, they were doing surprisingly great. That is, until we got our first freeze.

Anyhow, what I ended up doing was growing an Ivy clipping and gave it to my cuzin (yeah cuzin) Brad. At my last job my desk was perfectly situated in front of a floor to ceiling window so I had a lot of plants in my area. I also drank a lot of green tea, so I decided to conduct an experiment to see which plants would grow better. I had three different clippings; one growing in a cup of water, one in equal parts water and green tea and another in green tea. Of course the one in water grew. The one in equal parts was slightly more vibrant in green with bigger leaves and the third, which was only in green tea grew moldy but with dark green leaves. Other than the mold in the water the ivy itself was, as far as I could tell perfectly fine.

#45. Play in at Least One Poker Tournament.
I played in the 2009 World Series of Poker (WSOP) in Las Vegas. Nah, no I didn’t, but it would be a lot cooler if I did. I do however, play in a monthly poker game with a few folks and I’m getting my game up to par. In the last two months I have stopped drinking during the games and have walked away with money in my pocket, that’s what I’m talking about.

#52. Go Six Straight Months without Credit Card Use.
I killed it. I started this list in November of 2007 and since then I haven’t used a credit card. Now if I can just pay those motha’s off. Damn my youthful ignorance in borrow-spending.

#57 Work a Full week without Personal Internet.
Never gonna happen. As long as I'm a citizen... Scratch that, victim, of office life I will always use the world wide interwebs.

#60. Win a Contest.
This (2009) football season I play Fantasy Football with MamaWanda & Clonda and their crew. This was my first time ever playing fantasy sports and I really got down on it. Everyone could tell I was a rookie because on draft day my style was way different than everyone else’s. While everyone was using there first picks on Running Back I started off mine with a QB-WR duo in Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald. Then followed those picks with Eli Manning. My Running Backs were sub-par but Ricky Williams kept me in the mix. And at the end of the first part of the season I finished in 2nd place. Making my pockets fat. J Adding to those winnings I started the next half of the season with a win. Can’t wait for next season.

No comments: