Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Austin Burger Bracket: Champion

As you know tomorrow is Thanksgiving, a time of traditions, family, friends, football and FOOD. And after the consumption of that midnight "snack" of a turkey sandwich, stuffing, broccoli & cheese casserole and combination of pies, also comes the many holiday traditions of parties, overspending and more food.

Unfortunately my goal to fill my belly with as many burgers that Austin could provide will have to come to an end. Scratch that, I'm not giving up burgers, what I meant to say is that the Austin Burger Bracket competition will have to come to a sudden end. While I started this bracket with the best of intentions; I didn't anticipate the occurrences of life (Work, family, friends, chores, etc) would interfere. I'm kidding, work didn't interfere, I ate most of the burgers during business hours and maybe even blogged about it too.

All joking aside, I wish I could have eaten my way to a Champion Burger but sometimes things just don't work out as planned. But in the spirit of things I have chosen a champion from the establishments I was able to enjoy. The Austin Burger Bracket Champion of 2010 embodies what a good ol American Austin Burger should be. A burger that isn't trying to be anything more than what it is and yet satisfies more than you'd expect. A burger you can't wait to eat and when finished wished you had more. A burger that teases you after you've eaten it by leaving it's aroma on your hands reminding you why you love it so much. This burger should be so good that if/when you do have another, you feel regret for your choice in meal, I know I have.

Number Three Honors:
P. Terry's Burger Stand - A staple to my lunch time dining, this burger joint keeps it real, from fresh vegetables to all natural Black Angus Beef. If you find yourself on empty and happen to be near this establishment, I recommend the Double w/ Cheese and add on a fresh squeezed lemonade and a cookie for desert.

Number Two Runner-Up:
Doc's Motorworks - In the heart if South Congress sits Doc's, a great place to enjoy a drink, people watch and of course devour delicious food. You can catch a game on one of the TVs inside or step outside the garage bay doors and enjoy the cool breeze of their patio. If you're ever in the area treat yourself to the BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger, you're belly will thank you.

And drum roll please...

Number One Champion:
Dan's Hamburgers - For my money there isn't anything better than Dan's Hamburgers, of course I order my with cheese every time. I've eaten at four different locations and at each I am given the same great quality as the last. If you ask me where the best place to eat a burger is, I'm going to direct you to the hometown hero, Dan's.

***   ***   ***


Thanks for following along, I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. I wasn't able to enjoy as many burgers as I hoped but I look forward to finally eating and/or trying the rest of the burgers from my Austin Burger Bracket.

No comments: