Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Music (Un)Monday: Women & Country Music


When I was a kid, my sister and mother loved George Straight, I didn't. I didn't even like country music, I mean who wants to listen to rich white men sing songs of loss, love, beer, trucks and dogs? I couldn't relate, I was a product of my society and well, that kind of music didn't relate to me at the time.

Years later I grew up, moved to another zip code and began to experience new things. Still I wasn't completely sold on country music but I left myself as open as I could in an effort to branch out of my comfort zone. My feelings towards the genre was still pretty much the same song after song... Until I was giving a free promotional mix tape that had Garth Brooks' If Tomorrow Never Comes. At the time I was mainly listening to R&B and Rap but after I felt the emotion of Brooks' song that all changed, I added a new genre to my catalog.

Then... Once I started to really get into country music I couldn't stand the sound of a woman singing it. Ugh, it just didn't do anything for me. Didn't like the voice and for that reason I never even tried to relate, I'd just change the station. Well, time has a way of changing things and I eventually came around. I can't remember my "Aha moment" but I now believe, if you've got a song, sing it. If I like it good, if not, maybe it's not for me or maybe it's not for me right now but it is for someone. Shit, have you heard the crap that the Rap/Hip Hop community is putting out today, f*ckin sucks most of the time.

With that said, I love women... Oh, women singing country music. Haha. And if Sugarland and Lady Antebellum ever do on tour together (It would be flippin AWESOME) I am there, I really like their music and the passion in which they perform.

Sugarland - Red Dirt Road (Brooks and Dunn Cover)
If I had never heard of Brooks and Dunn I would think that this song was written for and by Sugarland.


Lady Antebellum - Need You Now
This song makes the act of "Drunk Dialing" sexy.

No comments: