Friday, July 02, 2010

Fallen Tree



At some point we realized that the loss was inevitable. While its twin grew strong and sturdy the earth took it’s toll on the little one. I’m not really sure what happened, but a year or so ago I noticed that around the base of the trunk something had infested it… It looked as though the trunk was beginning to rot. I attempted to treat it but that came without success. Still, I’m not sure what happened, there weren't any unwanted guests in the tree, maybe it just didn’t take to the earth. Guess it happens.

To some it might just be a tree but it was a part of me, my history and my home. It was only there for a little over 3 years. I remember when The Wife and I first brought the pair home, two trees popping out the back of her SUV, today the bigger one couldn’t even fit. Digging those holes that was to be their new home was exhausting but accomplishing when I had them set. I never had much of a bond with the plants of our yard, most of them are seasonal and not expected to return and as exciting as it is to see them surprisingly the next season its nothing like what I envisioned of the trees.

I always imagine many years down the road if/when I’m not living here anymore that I’d take a drive down to see what became of the trees. Just season to season there’s a big difference in them. And even on my way home I can see them stretching skyward over our fence line. I’m not going to lose sleep over this but the tree will be missed.

[Note]: I don't know anything about the band or song, I just did a search on youtube for "Fallen Tree" and that was one of the results... It sounds nice.

No comments: